Undergroud Cables in Brooklyn
The Brooklyn Edison Co was formed in 1919 by a merger of the Edison Electric Illuminating Co. of Brooklyn and the Kings County Electric and Power Co. It in turn was acquired by Consolidated Edison of New York around 1944.
The Brooklyn Edison Company adapted a manhole cover design similar to its bigger brother across the East River, a divided circle with rings of smaller circles creating coffers with a smaller ring. This example has 2 inner rows of circles with a more decorative outer ring of diagonal struts. The Brooklyn company used a stylized colon to identify the beginning and end of the word Edison, something only occasionally seen on similar Manhattan lids.
The Edison Elecric Illuminating Co had always buried its cables, and after the merger in 1919 it began to bury all its lines.
This particular cover was found at Neptune Ave and Brighton 5th St., but there are examples found across the borough.