From Warships to Manhole Covers
The United Shipyards on Staten Island's north shore were a major east-coast builder and repairer of Navy vessels during the second world war. The company started as the merger of several smaller firms including the Staten Island Shipbuilding Company, which included a foundry department. This cover is a direct descendant of the honeycomb covers produced by that firm.
The department that purchased this cover felt no need to include any inscription , as by this time (probably in the late 1920's) the design spoke for itself -- SEWER.
This cover is found on Roosevelt Island behind Xavier Church. The honeycomb design is found throughout the city, although the United Shipyards labeled covers are rare.