Water for the Department of Parks
This cover is similar to other 6-holers found around the city made by the Maher and Flockhart foundry. This one has the addition of the inscription WATER D.P. It may well date to the upgrading of the Harlem River Drive and the Driveway in 1903 that included the installation of additional water lines, horse troughs and drains.
The raised vent holes are surrounded by a recessed area that was filled with pavement cement. Thus a level surface with good traction (and less iron) was obtained.
The six raised vent holes are usually indicative of a sewer cover, although perhaps this case was an exception.
The raised 6-hole design is found throughout Manhattan and Brooklyn, with and without inscriptions. Varients with 4 raised holes or with a rectangular layout are occasionally spotted.